Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.

Regular Meeting Minutes

May 28th, 2019


The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at Daybreak Adult Day Service Center on May 28th, 2019, at 7:00 p.m.



Paul Zimnik, President                                                                                                                                                                  

John Arkoian, Secretary

Nancy Sweet, Director

Laura Ferguson, Director

Andrea Weaver, Director

Mike Brown, Director

Roger Franks, Director



Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer


Others Present:

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative

Renee Henning, Recording Secretary

Dave Geis, Supervisor with Ruppert



Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 pm with a quorum present.



The Board discussed the March 26th, 2019 minutes and noted some edits.

Motion:  To approve the March 26th, 2019 minutes with the noted edits.

Weaver/Sweet                                                      Vote: 7/0/0



No comments from Homeowners.


    1. Drainage Repair/2413-2421 Prentice Court: Ruppert Landscapes has provided proposals to correct the drainage issue behind 2413-2421 Prentice Court. Dave Geis, Supervisor with Ruppert, provided more details regarding the drainage issues. Geis explained that part of the issue is that what once was a solution, now the ground has silted so much that there are high points and now the original grating has changed and become blocked and causing standing water. A Board Member asked if the sub pumps discharge is causing or just contributing to the flooding issue. Geis explained that it is contributing but not the cause, because the problem is caused by the grading erosion over time.


There are have been some complaints of mosquitos, it could potentially become more of a health issue. There have also been some complaints of the ground water rising and causing water issues in homeowners’ basements. A Board Member asked if something like a water absorbing plant would help to absorb some of the water. They don’t know if that could help, but it would not be a solution to the problem. They also asked if they could start with the first phase, digging a trench, and then determine if it would actually be necessary to fix the problem by continuing with phase two, grading the area to continue long term drainage. The Board would like for Management to also look into asking opinions from specialists that would be able to give some potential proposals into possible wetland solutions.


Action: Management will send a letter to homeowners informing them that the trench will be dug in the area.


Motion: To obtain proposals and suggestions from specialists that would be able to give advice on wetland options prior to the August Board meeting and after the trench has been dug.

Arkoian/Ferguson                                         Vote: 7/0/0


Motion: To approve the first phase of the proposal provided by Ruppert to correct the drainage issue behind 2413-2421 Prentice Court.

Arkoian/Sweet                                               Vote: 7/0/0


    1. Spring Opening Pool Repairs: Continental Pools has finished the Board approved Spring opening repairs. All pools have passed their health inspections and are ready for opening day, May 25th. Management sent work orders to Tri-County Plumbing for plumbing repairs needed at all three pools in addition to the required back flow preventer inspections at each pool. There were several items that had the approved by email, in order to ready the pools for opening day. The Board ratified these approvals to appear in the minutes.


The work required and approved by email were as follows: Frederick Fence replaced wading pool gates ($3,689.00 from Reserve Funds); Cobblestone Pool return line replacement ($4,700.00 from Reserve Funds); Cobblestone Pool trunk line repair ($5,450.00); and Greenleaf ADA Chair battery and control box replacement ($975.00).


Action: Management will ask Continental Pools for a list of proposed items’ and their history of when they have been repaired or replaced.


Motion: To ratify the email approvals of the work required to be done to ready the pools for opening day.

Sweet/Ferguson                                             Vote: 7/0/0


    1. Pool Passes Withheld for Maintenance Violations: When homeowners have maintenance violations that were noted during the spring re-inspections and they apply for pool passes, this triggers a final inspection prior to the release of the passes. The community inspector inspected these homes and found the maintenance had not been completed. These homeowners were notified in writing that they must either attend the May Board meeting or send written explanation to the Board. No motion needed since no homeowners showed up.  


    1. 2018 Audit: The 2018 Draft Audited Financial Statement for the year ended December 31, 2018 as audited by Goldklang Group was provided to the Board for review. The Board needs to formally accept the Audit, so they meet the 60-day requirement as noted in the cover letter.


Motion: To approve the 2018 audit financial statement provided by Goldklang Group.

Sweet/Franks                                                 Vote:  7/0/0   


    1. 2019/2020 Audit Proposal: The 2019/2020 Audit Engagement Letter from Goldklang Group was provided to the Board to perform the Association’s audit and taxes. There is a $50.00 increase from last year. This accounting firm specializes in Community Association audits and taxes and has performed this service for the Association for a number of years.


Motion: To approve Goldklang Group to perform the Association’s audit and taxes for the 2019/2020 fiscal year.

Sweet/Ferguson                                             Vote:  7/0/0   


    1. Insurance Renewal: The Board approved by email the Association’s insurance renewal at a very minimal increase of 1.7% ($452.00).


Motion: To ratify the email approval of the Association’s insurance renewal at a very minimal increase of 1.7% ($452.00).

Weaver/Franks                                             Vote:  7/0/0   


    1. Ausherman Proposed Waterline Easement Acquisition: As was previously submitted to the Board, the Kellerton Waterline Easement Agreement and all associated easement exhibits were provided for review.


Motion: To approve to forward the Ausherman Proposed Waterline Easement Acquisition Agreement to the Association’s attorney for review.

Franks/Sweet                                                 Vote:  7/0/0



    1. ACC: Report provided for review.
    2. Pool Committee: none
    3. Townhouse Committee: none
    4. Condo Committee: none
    5. Landscaping Committee: none
    6. Website Committee: none
    7. Social Committee: Discussed the Festival for 2020 and needing to add it back into the budget for the following year. Will begin to send out communication with vendors and others in the Fall to begin the process of getting ready for the Festival. Discussed needing to find volunteers in order to make the event happen. The Board Chair offer to approach the Police Department about potentially collaborating with National Night Out for the Festival again.
    8. Treasurer’s Report: Financial reports were provided.


    1. Lake Water Lilies: Have not heard anything from the City yet about potentially adding the water lilies to the lake. A specialist did give some feedback that they should be conscious of where they source the lilies due to invasive species that can be found in some of the pots that lilies come in that will invade the lake.


    1. Ruppert Landscaping Suggestions: Ruppert Landscapes provided some proposals on suggested work on trees the community could do to help eliminate dying or dead trees as well as update areas that have some old plant material and could cosmetically be upgraded. The Board discussed some of the items listed and asked Ruppert to provide a proposal that rates or prioritizes what items are necessary or a highly suggested, suggested to be done soon, and just cosmetic or not a priority. A Board Member offered to work with Dave Geis to go through and prioritize the items on the proposal. Ruppert will change the proposal to be listed by priority and send back to Management for the Board’s review.



There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at 8:55 pm.

Motion: To adjourn the meeting.

            Franks/Brown                                   Vote: 7/0/0


Please note the next scheduled meeting is May 28th, 2019 at 7:00 pm.


Renee Henning

Recording Secretary