Whittier Community Associates HOA, Inc.

Regular Meeting Minutes

May 22nd, 2018


The Board of Directors of Whittier Community Association met at the Somerford House, Frederick, Maryland on May 22nd, 2018, at 7:05 p.m.



Paul Zimnik, President                                                                                                                                    

John Arkoian, Secretary

Mike Desimon, Director

Susan Miller, Director                                          

Nancy Sweet, Director



Bill Watt, Vice-President

Bernarda Jackson, Treasurer

Eric Struntz, Director


Others Present:

Nancy Keen, Vanguard Management, Community Representative

Renee Henning, Recording Secretary

Special Guest, Jeremy Holder, VP of Ausherman Development for Kellerton Knolls Community



Dr. Paul Zimnik, President of Whittier Community HOA called the regular meeting to order at 7:05 pm with a quorum present.



The Board discussed the March 27th, 2018 minutes and noted edits to be made.

Motion:  To approve the March 27th, 2018 minutes with the noted edits.

Sweet/Arkoian                                               Vote: 5/0/3



No homeowners were present.



A.  Townhouse Tree Removal/Replacement: During the community inspections, it was noted there were two (2) uprooted pine trees behind Lakeside Dr and a declining ash tree behind  Wetherburne Way. Ruppert Landscaping provided proposals to remove the tree, grind the stumps, and install new trees.     


Motion:  To approve the proposals to remove the trees, grind the stumps, and install new trees.

Miller/Desimon                                         Vote:  5/0/0


B.  Drainage Repair/Prentice Ct: The homeowner from 2422 Prentice Ct contacted Management regarding his concerns with the common area drainage behind his home. Management had Ruppert Landscaping inspect the area and submit a proposal to correct the drainage behind the row of homes.        

Motion:  To approve the proposal to correct the drainage.

Desimon/Miller                                         Vote:  5/0/0     



A.  ACC:  none   

B.  Pool Committee:  none       

C.  Townhouse Committee:  none       

D.  Condo Committee: none     

E.  Landscaping Committee: none      

F.  Website Committee: none   

G.  Social Committee:  none     

H.  Treasurer’s Report:  none  



A.  Kellerton Community Easements:

The Ausherman Development VP, Jeremy Holder, discussed the proposed City water line inter-connections at two locations (Longfellow Court and East Palace Green Terrace) between Whittier and the Kellerton Development, one high and one low connection. The waterline configuration referenced has been vetted with the City’s engineering department. 


As previously discussed in the January meeting, the slope on the Longfellow Court area is steep in several areas and the City confirmed that they would like a bench graded in this area for future maintenance. Holder provided exhibits of options and information regarding the waterline to demonstrate how the areas would be graded and re-stabilized after construction. There is an amount of Forest Conservation Easement that would be impacted. Based on actual field conditions, this area may have to be relocated or reallocated elsewhere in the community. Kellerton will work with the Association on relocating the conservation easement as deemed by the City.


The grading for the East Palace Green Terrace is relatively flat, so it is expected that temporary grading/construction easements will not be necessary, but reconfiguration of the pipes will be required by the City to replace the current older and outdated piping. This new line would provide a better water quality to the current location.


The Permanent Waterline Easement would be granted to the City of Frederick and all future maintenance after construction would be performed by Frederick City.  The Grading Easements would revert back to the HOA after construction is completed. Once agreed upon, official exhibits and documentation will be created, approved by City, and then provided to the Association to approve. A separate agreement will be drafted afterwards for the settlement between Kellerton and Whittier for the restoration work to be done.


Action: The Board will continue to discuss via email and during meetings.


B.  Pool Repairs:           

Discussed the additional pool repairs for plumbing. Determined to pay for with Reserves.


Motion: To approve the additional plumbing repairs, paying for the replacement items from Reserves.

                      Miller/Desimon                              Vote: 5/0/0



C.  Springhouse Signs:  

Management has posted signs outside of the Springhouse. No additional action needed at this time.


VII.          NEW BUSINESS:   

A.  Write Off to Bad Debt– ******:    

Payment has been received from the foreclosing institution and the subsequent owner to cover the balance due from August 4, 2017 through December 31, 2018. Requesting a write off to bad debt for $257.82.


Motion: To approve the write-off to bad debt request.

Desimon/Arkoian                                     Vote: 5/0/0



There being no additional business for the Board to conduct, the meeting adjourned at: 8:54 pm.


Motion:  To adjourn the meeting.

            Miller/Desimon                                          Vote: 5/0/3



Please note the next scheduled meeting is June 26th, 2018 at 7:00 pm.



Respectfully yours,


Renee Henning

Recording Secretary